Merry Christmas! Nothing but best wishes and holiday cheer wherever you may be celebrating. Christmas snuck up on me this year due to a heavy course schedule and working part-time at Hannaford.
I’d like to leave a note for 2012 first. 2012 was, for me, a great year. 2012 will be known as the year I got my first job. The year I started writing for the Bangor Daily News. Friendships have come and gone. The year several of my friends left home to join the military. The year that I covered my first election. The year that my favorite cousin got engaged. I’ve felt I’ve grown much more as a person this year. However, the year was not without pain. 2012 was the year I got my childhood cat died and I got my wisdom teeth out. In the same week. 2012 was the year Owen Krause, a boy I went to high school with, was killed driving to school. And of course, the nation mourned in the aftermath of many mass shootings. But I still feel that 2012 was the best year of my life. Without it, I wouldn’t be on the path I am today.
2013 is going to be a big year. 2013 will be the year I will be halfway done with college. 2013 will be the year I get to go to my first wedding-my cousin’s wedding no less! I cannot even begin to describe how excited I am for that. 2013 will be the first full year I spend working a job. If I am very lucky, 2013 will be the year I complete my education at Eastern Maine Community College. After the next semester, I will have 5 classes to take at Eastern Maine. If I get them all done during the summer and fall semesters, I can devote as much time as I can in 2014 to getting closer to my job in the journalism industry.
I am looking forward to 2013. Now that we know the world has not ended, we are in it for the long hall. It’s time to make some real progress in this country. Dale Duff made a list of things that he wanted to see happen next year for sports. I will doing the same thing for sports and politics and for media. Some of them may be personal. Some of them may be more large-scale. But 2013 is going to be a big year.
1) I would like to see the country become closer when it comes to politics. Liberal, conservative, Democrat, Republican, the hatred between the two sides is a poison and it must be destroyed if the country is to get back on track.
2) I’d like to see the fiscal cliff passed before the deadline. But seeing as that is highly unlikely, I’d like to see some sort of new deal formed. One that increases taxes and decreases spending. A compromise.
3) I would like it if Senator-elect Angus King can take a leadership position in the Senate and continue the legacy of Maine senators that are fair and impartial. Senators that are willing to cross party lines and vote for the good of the country and not the side that they are canvassing on.
4) Regarding sports, I’d like to see the New England Patriots play the Denver Bronchos play one more time to go to the Super Bowl. When Peyton Manning was with the Indianapolis Colts, it was almost always a foregone conclusion that the Colts and the Patriots would play each other in the playoffs. The ultimate test of Brady versus Manning.
5) I’d like to see the Toronto Blue Jays, Oakland Athletics or Washington Nationals win the World Series. I’m sick and tired of it being the same teams year after year after year. We need some fresher faces in the playoffs. Yeah, Oakland and Washington made it to the playoffs last year but they didn’t get far.
6) I’d like to see some John Bapst baseball games this year. I have nothing but good memories of being the manager on both the JV and Varsity levels and this is the last year friends of mine will be on the team. The time has come for a deep playoff run. Good luck guys.
7) Regarding the media, I want to see some really fascinating specials on 60 Minutes. I’d like to see a story on something that nobody knows anything about. That’s one of the reasons why I wanted to be a journalist in the first place: to tell incredible stories to the world.
8) I’d like to see more movies this year. I started going to movies with friends on a regular basis this year and it is something I’d like to continue. 2013 should be an excellent year for movies. While I am still on the subject of movies, I am also planning on watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Hobbit movie. All in a row. On Blue-Ray.
2013 looks to be a great year. Whether it’s politics, media, or sports, I just know 2013 is going to be a big year for everybody. I hope 2013 is everything that you want it to be too. Have a great New Year.